You're reaching retirement and need to make sure you have the right plans in place. The countdown is on – use our retirement checklist and get ready.
Your get ready for retirement checklist
- Make sure you really understand your options at retirement.
- Find out if your existing pension(s) include any valuable features or special guarantees.
- Get registered online and stay close to your plan.
- What does your retirement look like? Be realistic about expenses such as TV, broadband, mobile phone and holidays.
- Are you responsible for funding a loved ones’ retirement too? Think about how much you’ll need and what happens after you die.
- Start planning how you’d like your retirement income to be paid.
- Get up to speed with tax.
- Find out what basic state pension you’re entitled to.
- Combine your pensions - find out if transferring is right for you.
- Will you continue working? Think about how much you’ll need from your pension.
- Get a Will in place if you plan to pass on some wealth.
Access to impartial guidance
We recommend you seek appropriate guidance or advice before you make any decisions. An adviser may charge a fee for this. You can also get free impartial guidance over the phone or face to face with Pensionwise. Go to pensionwise.gov.uk or call 0800 138 3944.
Make sure you understand all your retirement options by reading the Money Advice Service guide – Your pension - it’s time to choose
Keep up-to date with the latest retirement news and expert opinion.