The value of your investments can go down as well as up and you may get back less than you paid in. Laws and tax rules may change in the future. Your own circumstances and where you live in the UK also have an impact on tax treatment.
Get retirement ready
In the years leading up to retirement, you might start to wonder if you have saved enough to retire comfortably and thought about everything you need to consider.
This handy checklist breaks down the key things you need to think about and do. We want to help you make sure you're ready to retire when it’s the right time for you.
Don't worry if you feel you’ve missed a step or if you're unsure. We've included links to handy guides you can read for more information.
Getting ready for retirement checklist
- Make sure you understand your options at retirement
- Find out if any of your pensions include valuable features or guarantees
- Get registered online and stay close to your plan
- Think about what you want in retirement. Be realistic about expenses such as TV, broadband, mobile phones and holidays
- See what kind or retirement you can afford. Use our retirement calculator to see what you might get and how you can take your pension money
- Top up your pension. Save more now for the future you want. If you have a Standard Life pension, you can do this online if you log in to our online services or use our mobile app
- Are you planning your retirement with a partner? Think about how much you'll both need and what happens after you die
- Start planning how you'd like to take money you've got in your pension
- Will you keep working? Get up to speed with tax
- Find our when you'll get your State Pension and how much you could get on the gov.uk State Pension page
- Bring your pensions together - find out if this is right for you
If you're not sure, get impartial advice
We recommend you seek appropriate guidance or advice before you make any decisions. An adviser is likely to charge a fee for this. You can also get free impartial guidance over the phone or face to face with Pension Wise a service from MoneyHelper. Go to moneyhelper.org.uk/pensionwise or call 0800 138 3944
You can also find impartial advisers by visiting Unbiased
More about getting ready for retirement
What is the state pension, how much is it, and when will you get it? This guide explains what you need to know.