What to do if you think you've been a victim
If you have given bank details or sent money, contact your bank immediately and then:
- Contact us. You can do this by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org contacting our customer service team via telephone. If you are not an existing customer, please provide a security word or phrase, so that if we need to contact you, you know you are speaking to the genuine Standard Life
- Report a firm to the FCA – Report a scam or unauthorised firm | FCA
- Make an action fraud report – Action Fraud
- If you’ve been a victim of identity theft speak to CIFAS – Fraud Prevention | Identity Fraud | Protective Registration | Cifas
How can you protect yourself?
- Be aware, Standard Life will never make a request via email or approach potential investors via telephone
- Naver provide personal details including passwords via email
- Always seek independent expert financial advice
- Never send funds to anyone you don't know
- Hang up any cold calls and call Standard Life directly to verify the legitimacy
- Do not click on any suspicious links or documents contained in an email
- Check the FCA warning List and Register to ensure the company is genuine
We would always advise you to do your own research using the company's official website and call them directly. Phone and website details can be found on the FCA website for confirmation.
PLEASE NOTE: If you deal with an unauthorised firm you will have no protection if something goes wrong
Payment requests to a non Standard Life account
Standard Life will never ask you to pay funds into an account in the name of a third party, When investing with Standard Life you will always be requested to pay into an account in the name of Standard Life or one of its subsidiaries.
Company cloning and websites to be aware of
Please be assured that Standard Life is aware of investment scams using our brand and we are taking steps to combat this. We continue to report and get fraudulent domains taken down where necessary; unfortunately, fraudsters are always ready to set up new domains and phone numbers. Therefore please continue to be vigilant and protect your money.
There is more information in the documents below: