Getting ready for retirement
In the years leading up to retirement, you might start to wonder if you have everything you need to retire comfortably.
This handy checklist breaks down the key things you need to do and think about to help make sure you're ready to retire when you feel comfortable.
Don't worry if you feel you haven't ticked off a step or if you're unsure. We've included links to handy guides you can read for more information.
- Make sure you really understand your options at retirement.
- Find out if your existing pension(s) include any valuable features or special guarantees.
- Get registered online and stay close to your plan.
- What does your retirement look like? Be realistic about expenses such as TV, broadband, mobile phone and holidays.
- Are you planning your retirement with a partner? Think about how much you'll both need and what happens after you die.
- Start planning how you’d like your retirement income to be paid.
- Will you continue working? Get up to speed with tax.
- Find out what basic state pension you’re entitled to on the Gov.uk state pension page..
- Combine your pensions - find out if transferring is right for you.
- Get a Will in place if you plan to pass on some wealth.
Access to impartial guidance
We recommend you seek appropriate guidance or advice before you make any decisions. An adviser is likely to charge a fee for this. You can also get free impartial guidance over the phone or face to face with Pensionwise. Go to pensionwise.gov.uk or call 0800 138 3944. Make sure you understand all your retirement options by reading the Money Advice Service guide – Your pension: your choices
Keep up-to date with the latest retirement news and expert opinion.