With Equity Release you can unlock tax-free cash from your home. This can be a great way to boost your income when the time comes for you start working less or when you decide to give up work altogether.
There are a few different types of plans out there. The most popular types of Equity Release plans are a Lifetime Mortgage and a Home Reversion Plan.
What is a Home Reversion Plan?
A Home Reversion Plan is a type of Equity Release where you get a tax-free lump sum by selling of some or all of your property to your chosen provider.
How does a Home Reversion plan work?
With a Home Reversion Plan, you can release tax-free cash from your home by selling some or all of your property to a Home Reversion Plan provider. With this type of plan, you have to be 65 years old.
You still get to stay in your property even though you’ve sold part or all of it to a lender. This is called a ‘Lifetime Lease’ and means you can keep living in your home rent-free until you die.
Pros and Cons of a Home Reversion plan
- You get a tax-free lump sum that you can spend on whatever you like
- You are still able to move house if you want to, as most plans can be moved to another property
- You know as soon as you set up your plan what percentage of your home you will be able to pass on to your loved ones
- You don't pay any interest like if you had a Lifetime Mortgage
- The money you take out could affect any means-tested benefits you're entitled to now or in the future
- You can't take out a Home Reversion Plan until you're 65
- If you decide you would like to buy back the part of your property you sold, you need to buy it back at market value which will mean paying more than the amount you received
- Selling all or part of your home through a Home Reversion Plan will reduce what you can leave to your loved ones when you die
See how much money you could unlock from your home
You can see how much money you could release from your home in seconds.
What is Equity Release?
Equity Release is a way to unlock tax-free cash from your home.Learn more about your options >
How does Equity Release work?
Find out how much tax-free cash you could access and understand the costs.Find out how Equity Release works >
Standard Life Client Management Limited is registered in Scotland (SC193444) at 1 George Street, Edinburgh, EH2 2LL. Standard Life Client Management is authorised and regulated by the FCA. Its FCA register number is 435970. Age Partnership Limited (registered in England (5265969) at 2200 Century Way, Thorpe Park, Leeds, LS15 8ZB). Age Partnership is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority. Their FCA register number is 425432